The Peace Symbol

 

The Peace Symbol, the logo for the English movement, Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, founded in 1958, was designed in 1958 by Gerald Holtom.  It became widespread outside of Britain during the 1960s as the "peace symbol," even adopted by the United Nations.

 

The peace symbol is based on the international semaphore symbols for "N" and "D" (for Nuclear Disarmament) enclosed within a circle. It may also be seen as a cross with lowered arms. There is a common misconception that Bertrand Russell designed the logo.  This probably stems from his being president of the organization at the time (1958-1960), though there is no documentation of his direct influencing of its design.

 

Some ChristiansÕ critiques of the peace symbol claim it was purposefully representative of an upside down and broken cross, symbolizing hatred for Christianity.  They say itÕs just something like what a publicly confessed atheist such as Russell would have had designed. 

 

All of this is subtle and subject to debate.  The fact that the semaphore symbols for N and D (Nuclear Disarmament, the whole purpose of that organization) and the similarity to anti-Christian use of the cross can be coincidental.  Then, again, it can be the subtle devises of Satan to trick humankind into doing something evil when it thinks it is doing something good.

 

So, it cannot be documented that the Peace Symbol is directly anti-Christian, but its surroundings certain flirt with the idea.

 

Comments and research by

D. A. Sharpe, Aurora, TX

da@dasharpe.com