4. World's first rodeo was in Pecos, TX July 4, 1883.
5. The Flagship Hotel in Galveston is the only hotel in North America built over water. Destroyed by Hurricane Ike - 2008!
7. Brazoria County has more species of birds than any other area in North America having over 400 identified.
9. Jalapeno jelly originated in Lake Jackson in 1978.
10. The worst natural disaster US history was in 1900, caused by a hurricane in which an estimated 6,000 to 12,000 lives were lost on Galveston Island.
11. The first word spoken from the moon, July 20, 1969, was " Houston " but the Space Center was actually 25 miles away in Clear Lake City at the time. This is challenged, though.
13. Tropical Storm Claudette brought a US rainfall record of 43" in 24 hours in and around Alvin in July of 1979.
14. Texas is the only state to enter the US by TREATY, (known as the Constitution of 1845 by the Republic of Texas to enter the Union) instead of by annexation. Many believe his allows the Texas Flag to fly at the same height as the US Flag, but that claim is cited as false, and Texas may choose to divide into 5 states. This claimed to be party true.
16. Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in the state.
17. Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. There is no period in Dr Pepper.
19. The Capitol Dome in Austin, with a height of 203.64 feet, is one of six capitol domes in the US which, it is claimed, are taller than the Capitol Building in Washington, DC, which is 288 feet tall. So that tradition is in error!
21. The name 'Texas' comes from the Hasini Indian word 'tejas' meaning "friends." Tejas is NOT Spanish for Texas.
22. The State Mascot is the Armadillo. An interesting bit of trivia about the armadillo is they always have four babies. They have one egg, which splits into four, and they either have four males or four females. In the late 1970s the Texas legislature voted down attempts to make the armadillo the official state mammal, but in 1981 it was declared the official state mascot by executive decree of Governor Bill Clements.
23. The first domed stadium in the US was the Astrodome in Houston.
24. The Beck family ranch land grant was said to be one dayŐs ride by horse (25 miles) in each direction from the headquarters. Unfortunately, I canŐt document that, but do note that in 2017, it is listed For Sale for $20,000,000! The listing says it is 33,871 acres.
25. The name of the XIT ranch in Dalhart Texas stands for "ten in texas." That means 10 counties in Texas! ItŐs composed of more than 3,000,000 acres.
Facts research and hyperlinks embedded by:
Dwight Albert (D. A.) Sharpe
805 Derting Road East
Aurora, TX 76078-3712